What have we found 1 month on from Google Instant?
Well, potentially not much, and in fact more questions:
1. Are the predictions not just location and popularity based, but also user history based? (as it only functions when signed in)
2. I have seen a small amount of month on month growth in query length from 1-2 keywords in length to 3-5 keywords in length however one month of activity just isn’t enough (not a question, but still a question mark over this issue)
3. CPCs have remained more or less static but if we are seeing a shift to the longer tail will these typically and previously cheaper terms become more expensive as competitors jump on longer tail bandwagon?
4. What percentage of my users are coming through Instant? Is it minimal due to the Google sign in issue? Will it vary from client to client based on target audience (e.g. are older audiences less likely to be signed in?)
5. I have heard that Instant does not affect QS – i.e. any stats for keywords arising from Instant impressions are discounted from the QS algorithm – I really don’t see the point of this!
It seems we are left with more questions than answers at present and need a lot more data before any conclusions can be made. What have you seen?